Let’s face it: Being a parent is like riding a roller coaster on auto-loop.
You must commit yourself to enjoying the ride instead of letting every dip or twist scare you. Once you embrace the craziness, you’ll want to talk about your amazing experience with anyone who’ll listen.
Adrenaline-pumping rides are fun. But you know what else is equally enjoyable? The lazy river. A ride that simply involves floating.
I checked into a hotel yesterday for a work trip. I momentarily got off the roller coaster and plopped my backside onto a tube.
Here are 10 things that crossed my mind while alone in my room with only my thoughts:
10. I can lounge in a clean, pre-made bed complete with as many pillows as I want.
9. I can spread out my personal belongings on a non-sticky, spacious bathroom counter top.
8. The remote control, TV volume, and room temperature are all at my finger tips.
4. Nobody needs me to do anything for them (pinching myself).
5. I can decide what I want to eat for dinner without conducting a group vote.
6. I can… dare I say it? Close my eyes and take a nap.
7. I’ve been on my laptop for over an hour with zero interruption.
8. I’m going to catch up on really bad reality TV without experiencing a tinge of guilt.
9. I can take a shower by myself for as long as I want.
10. I have no dirty laundry, dishes, or sibling drama to deal with.
The moment two people make a commitment to become parents together, life as they know it changes forever. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the ride is totally worth it.
After a couple more laps around the lazy river, I’ll be ready to hop right back on the roller coaster.
Heidi Woodard is a working-mom with three children.
Read her Thursdays on momaha.com
* * *