The question’s been around forever: Does birth order matter?
In my house, that’d be a YES.
Whether they’re first born, in the middle, the youngest, or the one and only, children all have personality characteristics associated with their birth order.
My trio fall right in line with this Boys Town Pediatrics list of common behaviors associated with birth order:
- Wants to control a situation, (have own way).
- May feel left out when second baby is born.
- Wants parent attention, by striving to please or being naughty.
SECOND CHILD (more than 3 children)
- Competitive with older sibling, wanting to have same privileges.
- May feel discouraged if older sibling has talents that capture parent’s attention.
- Takes on authoritative role to younger siblings.
- Feels caught in the middle and no one is paying attention.
- Becomes discouraged if felt neglected.
- Adapts to situations.
- Learns to deal with both oldest and youngest siblings.
- Wants more privileges and independence.
- Feels like the baby.
- Expects others to make decisions.
Learn more about children’s birth order, by clicking here.
* * *