A month ago, Molly Felker was eating a hot dog for lunch.
The 2-year-old started to choke. She couldn’t breathe. Her dad rushed to her side.
When he realized the bit of food wasn’t coming out, he called 9-1-1.
By the time emergency paramedics arrived, Molly was limp and barely responsive. They worked to dislodge the food and retrieve her pulse.
The toddler was rushed to the hospital. Doctors placed Molly in a medically-induced coma to help protect her brain.
But Molly still sustained brain damage.
Now doctors are working to rehabilitate her at a facility in Lincoln.
Friends and family pitch in around the house to help while Mike and Stacy Felker stay at their toddler’s side. The couple has three other children — Beth, 19, Jacob, 12, and Gabby, 9.
A spaghetti dinner benefit for Molly was held Thursday for the toddler at A View West, 4141 N. 156th St.
Molly’s uncle Scott Duncan called her a “beautiful, happy girl who loved to have her hair in pigtails.”
She is famous for making monkey faces, counting to 10 in Spanish and being an outgoing toddler.
“She loved her mom,” Duncan said. “She’s a mommy’s girl. She’d go with her everywhere from shopping to sporting events.”
For more information about the benefit, call 402-895-4848.
You can also make a donation in the name of “Molly Felker” to any Wells Fargo Bank location.
Follow Molly’s updates at www.caringbridge.org/visit/mollyfelker
* * *
In the United States, approximately one child dies every five days by choking on food — a rate that the American Academy of Pediatrics is trying to change. According to the pediatrics group these items are the top choking hazards for children under age 4:
Nuts and seeds
Hard, sticky candy
Chunks of peanut butter
Watch a video clip of a pediatrician demonstrating choking hazards and how to avoid them.